The North West Museum of Road Transport, formerly known as the St.Helens Transport Museum, is run by volunteers who are keen to show the public the rich transport heritage of the north west. A great many of the exhibits are buses, as the museums origins come from when a group of enthusiasts from the St Helens area got together to raise funds to preserve an ex St Helens trolleybus .
For those interested, the trollybus was a Bradford 799 registration No. BDJ 87, a picture of which can be found on this Flickr page .
Other exhibits are fire engines, cars, vans and bicycles. The Museum is housed in the former St Helens Corporation Transport bus depot in Hall Street, in the centre of St Helens, and is only a minutes walk from either the central bus terminal or St Helens Central rail station.
The museum has it’s own website, the address of which is shown above, which tells the history of the museum and gives details of opening times and admission prices, as well as special events. The special events can be in the museum itself but are often on the road in some of the beautifully restored buses.
Following the loss of it’s rooms at Prescot Leisure Centre in 2011, Rainhill model railway club was given a home by the transport museum in 2012.
The model Railway club has the use of three rooms in the museum, though the rooms are only open to the public on museum event days, "staff permitting".
The Model Railway club still holds it’s own events outside the museum, and these events are listed on it’s website at http://www.rainhillmrc.org.uk/
Although the museum houses many types of vehicle, it is most famous for it’s large collection of buses. They are mainly double deck buses of various ages and liveries. There is also a double decker, originally from Australia, that has been fully kitted out as a mobile home.
The museums website has a downloadable list of the buses and other vehicles it houses on their photo gallery page.
The museum also houses many other interesting vehicles and displays. The vehicle above is a 1914 American-La-France, which was originally a fire Engine in America. There are a many cars, fire engines, ambulances, delivery vans, motorcycles and bicycles, well as horse drawn carts. There are displays of motoring memorabilia and cabinet displays of vehicle parts, with explainations of how they work.
At the back of the main building is a room housing the fare collection museum. Housing a collection of over 1050 ticket machines dating as far back as the 1880’s. The fare collection museum is the only specialist ticketing museum, workshop and archive in the country. Although not available all the time they have a ticket machine expert who can give demonstrations and expert help and advise on all aspects of fare collection.
Most of the pictures where taken in 2014, during the motorcycle show